So long, 2005!
Setting aside all the momentous world events and looking only at what it's meant for me--new job, new home, new adventure--2005 has been one to remember.In January I finished up a project for the Global Program to Eliminate Lymphatic Filariasis (through Emory University in Atlanta); in February I started working for the Guinea Worm Eradication Program (through the Carter Center in Atlanta). Not a drastic change in subject matter so far as things go in the world of international public health, but certainly a big change in location, for starters!
The new job as a technical advisor to the Ghana Guinea Worm Eradiaction Programme (contracted by the Carter Center) sent me to the town of Nkwanta, in the Volta Region of Ghana, and I've been here since. (Nkwanta is east of Lake Volta and north of Ho, in the bulge just under the "T" in Togo. Map at left, photo above.) The work is tiring, but rewarding, and every day offers opportunities to learn and grow, both personally and professionally, so I can't complain too much.Despite being a District capital (equivalent to a county seat), reliable phone infrastructure in Nkwanta is wanting, and internet access remains in the not-so-near future...hence this blog attempt to keep in touch a little better. When I do have a chance to check e-mail, hearing the news from folks at home always makes my day.
Wishing you all a happy and prosperous new year!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home